West Dallas is made up of 11 square miles in zip code area 75212. More than one out of every three families live below the federal poverty level. It is surrounded by the Trinity River to the north, Interstate 30 to the south, downtown Dallas and the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge to the east, and Loop 12 (Walton Walker Freeway) to the west.
Most of the people in this neighborhood have lived their entire lives on the discarded, damaged products of our society. The demographics of West Dallas compared to the City of Dallas are staggering:
- Households making less than $25,000/year: West Dallas=45% / Dallas=28.7% / Texas=23.8%
- Adults not completing high school: West Dallas=51.5% / Dallas=25.8% / Texas=18.8%
- Unemployment: West Dallas=10.5% / Dallas=6.3% / Texas=5.2%
- Infant mortality rate: West Dallas=23% / Dallas=4.8%
The average Pre-K child in West Dallas knows 1,500 to 2,000 words verses his or her peer in more affluent communities in Dallas knows 5,000 to 7,000 words
Population Served by BBHH
Brother Bill's Helping Hand stays committed to its mission of helping people bring change to their lives. Over the years we have seen the positive results of mothers being better prepared to raise their children after participating in parenting seminars. We have watched the change quality health care can bring to a person’s life. We have helped women learn English and find jobs, resulting in a family less dependent on BBHH for the essentials of life.
Below is a snapshot of the BBHH neighbors served in 2015:
2015 Year End Program Report
- Unduplicated number of individuals served: 4289
- Total number of households: 1207
- Total units of service: 95,099
- Income: 100% low-income
- Division of Ages: 38.8% children, 47.6% adults ages 18 – 59, 13.6% adults 60 and older
- Ethnicity: 67% Hispanic, 30.5% African American, 2.5% Other
- Household status: 48.6% married, 53% households with children
- Spanish speaking-only household representative: 41%
2015 Volunteer Visits / Hours Served: 7687 Visits / 22,684 Hours Served
- Empowering through Learning Programs: 19,891 Visits (Bible Study, Devotional Time, English Class, Kids Craft Time, PathWays, National Day of Prayer)
- Essentials of Life Programs: 63,261 Visits (Birthday Party in a Bag, Neighbor Day, Back to School Carnival, Grocery Store, SNAP Registration, Children's Christmas Celebration)
- Community Clinic: 7841 Visits (Adult, Women, Dental, and Eye Clinics, EKG, Flu Shots, Labs, Glasses, Mammograms, Prescription Aid Program, Prostate Screening, UT Southwestern Depression and Diabetes Study)
- Health Living Programs: 38844106 Visits (Diabetes, Exercise Classes, Healthy Eating, Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol seminars, Family Talk/Diaper Day, Medicaid Registration, Mr. Donovan's Sport Camp, Soccer Camp, Super Saturday)
Brother Bill’s Helping Hand
3906 N. Westmoreland
Dallas, Texas 75212
Open: Monday - Friday
8:30 - 4:30
PO Box 565846
Dallas, Texas 75356
Capital Campaign: email@example.com
News & Events
A Summer to Remember
Camp Ozark for All
This is the 6th year BBHH was blessed to send West Dallas children to Camp Ozark in Mt. Ida, Arkansas. Because of the generosity of the Camp Ozark Foundation and its many donors, this year we sent 79 children to camp. Because of the generosity of a Dallas church, our cost for transportation, Bibles, t-shirts, a $20 Camp Store fund for each child, and other incidentals was zero!
The campers returned full of wonderful stories about the new friends they met, the new activities they experienced, their amazing counselors, and the love Jesus has for each one of them.
We praise God for others who helped "send" BBHH boys and girls to camp - from the volunteers who wrote notes of encouragement to each camper, to the man who raised money on a Go Fund Me page to pay for 90 lunches for the kids and counselors to enjoy on their way to camp, to our neighbors and recipients of the Prayer and Praise email who started praying for the campers weeks before they left. God's hands were once again all over this special program, just as His hands are all over Brother Bill's Helping Hand.
To God be the Glory,
Great Things He Hath Done